In November 2021 Microsoft announced the retirement of Stream Classic, with the availability of Stream on SharePoint. The announcement also made aware that video retention would require migration to the new service. This article serves to provide an outline of steps to aid users in migrating their files, while also highlighting some of the limitations in the migration process.
Key things to consider during your migration.
- Video files will download individually as an mp4 file.
- Custom thumbnails will not transfer over, nor can they be downloaded.
- Chapter markers need to be manually created on the new Stream in SharePoint.
1. Navigate to Stream Classic
2. Click the "My content" dropdown and select "Videos"
3. You are presented with your list of videos that reside on Stream Classic. Take note of which videos you will want to migrate. When ready, locate the first video, and click the "Update video details" button that looks like a pencil to the right of the video thumbnail.
note: You will be presented with a new page outlining the Video details.
4. Click the Download video button in the upper right and save your video to a safe location.
5. This step is optional. If you would like to transfer the captions from Stream Classic to transfer to the new Stream on SharePoint, click the "Download file" link next to captions, and save the caption file in safe location.
6. Copy the Description to a notepad for pasting later, and take note of the Name.
7. In a separate window, navigate to the new Stream on SharePoint
note: If uploading files to a company SharePoint site, navigate to the document library of that site, and upload the files to the appropriate location.
8. Click the Upload button in the upper left, and select the video you downloaded in step 4.
9. You will be presented with a dialog box to select the location to save the file. If you do not specify otherwise, the default location for uploads is the root of your OneDrive. By selecting "Change location" you can specify a more orderly location for your file, including to a SharePoint site. After specifying a save location, subsequent uploads for the current session will default to the selected destination.
10. Once uploaded, select "Open" on the "Upload complete" dialog box.
11. Select "Video settings" on the upper right of the video to expand the settings for the video.
12. If you downloaded the transcript file in step 5, you can upload the transcripts by expanding "Transcript and captions" and selecting the upload button.
13. Clicking the title of the video, or the description box under the upload date will allow you to modify the title and description of the video. Paste the description you copied into notepad from step 6. Click the check to save your edit when finished.
14. In the copied description are time markers from the video. You can use these markers to create Chapters for your video. Expand the "Chapters" section, set the switch to On, and click the link to "Go to chapters".
Other settings can be adjusted as you like. For any other questions about migrating videos from Stream Classic to the new Stream for SharePoint, please contact OIT.